Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bread Upma

Bread Upma is one of the first dishes which I learnt to prepare because of my love for it. It is really simple and gets ready in about 10minutes time. You can have it at any time of the day. I usually have it either for breakfast or when I am too bored to prepare an elaborate dinner. It is really a quick fix dish. Needs very few basic ingredients and bread of course!

This dish brings back some very sweet childhood memories. A hot favorite with me and my brother. Whenever my mom prepared this and shared it between me and my brother, both of us would check if we really have got equal halves or by any chance if the other has got a few pieces more...It was one of my favorites for the school snack box too. Now it has become my children’s favorite as well.

So here’s how my mom used to prepare bread upma and I continue to make it the same way…




Ingredients Serves 2

1. Bread – 8 slices
2. Onion – 1 Medium size
3. Tomatoes – 1 big
4. Green chillies –4
5. Turmeric Powder – a pinch
6. Rasam Powder – 1 tsp
7. Salt to taste
8. Coriander leaves – a few

For Seasoning

1. Oil – 2 tsps
2. Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
3. Jeera – 1 tsp
4. Urad Dal – ½ tsp
5. Channa dal – ½ tsp
6. Curry leaves a few

Method

Chop the onions and chillies into small pieces. Cut tomatoes into cubes of medium size. Cut the bread sliced into medium sized pieces.

Heat a Kadai with oil, add mustard seeds once they splutter add jeera, urad dal and channa dal. Once the dals change color add the curry leaves. Then add green chillies and chopped onions. Fry till onions turn translucent. Then add tomatoes and cook on high heat. Don’t the tomatoes get too mushy. Now add turmeric powder, salt and rasam powder. Fry for a minute. Then add the bread pieces and fry on high heat till the bread absorbs the flavors of the tomatoes and onions. Turn off heat. Garnish with coriander leaves.

Delicious bread upma is ready.


Sending this treasured recipe to Gayathri's Event Walking Through the Memory Lane and to Srivalli's Kids Delight Guest hosted by Priya.







Note:

1. Add salt only for the tomatoes and onions as bread will have enough salt.
2. Take care while sautéing tomatoes, if they become too softy and mushy then the Upma will become very soggy.

14 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Love bread upma anytime, ur click makes me hungry..

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Thanks Priya, for your really quick comment.

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Great for breakfast...yummy...

aipi said...

This looks fabulous! I would clean this plate off in an instant!

US Masala

Sravs said...

Looks so inviting and delicious !!

Unknown said...

This a quick comfort food at home - love the clicks!

Panchpakwan said...

Simple and delicious tiffin..

Shylaja said...

I love this recipe a lot. Looks delicious

Gayathri Kumar said...

My childhood fav dish. Looks so yumm.

kitchen queen said...

delicious bread upma and thanks for visiting my blog and giving a kind comment.

divya said...

Yumm,such a tempting and drool-worthy bread upma.Thanks for visiting my space :) love to follow u...

Valar Siva said...

Simple and yummy recipe!!!

I am here for first time, happy following you dear..

valar
http://valarskitchen-basics.blogspot.com/

Reshmi said...

mouthwatering upma!!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

one of my family fav........tempting clicks..
stop over n collect ur award plz..
Tasty Appetite

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...