Saturday, May 28, 2011

Pachha Papaya Thoran/Raw Papaya Stir Fry

Coconut trees, Jackfruit trees, Banana trees, Papaya trees are a common sight in most Kerala houses. The fruits of these trees are a major part of the Kerala cuisine. Extensive use of coconuts in all Kerala dishes is known to most of us. Papaya fruits also find their way in their daily cooking. Raw Papayas are used to make many dishes like Olan, Kootu, Molaguttal, Pachadi etc.
Today‘s post is on Raw Papaya Thoran. I have never seen my mom or grandma prepare this at home. Though we are from Kerala we never lived in Kerala as such. It was during my hostel days in Cochin that I first tasted this thoran. I took an immediate liking to it. It became one of my favorite items that was prepared in the hostel canteen and I used to eagerly wait for it. And now, whenever I find raw papayas in the stores, I pick them up to prepare this yummy stir fry which gets ready in about 20 minutes time. It goes very well with White rice and Sambar or even a simple tomato rasam.


What you’ll need (Serves -2)

1. Raw Papaya – 1 medium sized
2. Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
3. Salt to taste

For Seasoning

1. Coconut oil – 2 tsps
2. Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
3. Split urad dal – 1 tsp
4. Curry leaves – a few

To Grind

1. Fresh grated coconut – 1/3 cup
2. Green Chillies – 2
3. Cumin seeds – ½ tsp

Method

Wash, peel and chop papaya into small cubes. Heat a Kadai with coconut oil. Add mustard seed, once the splutter, add urad dal. As the dal changes color, add curry leaves, and papaya pieces. Stir well. Next add turmeric powder, salt and ½ a cup of water. Mix well. Cook covered till papayas get done. If there is water remaining after the pieces are cooked, keep stirring without lid on medium flame till water evaporates. In the meanwhile, grind all the items mentioned under To Grind list, without adding water. After the papaya pieces are cooked and all the water has evaporated, add the ground coconut mixture. Stir well.
Delicious Papaya Thoran is ready.


Note:

1. While selecting the papayas, choose one which just starting to ripen. This will lend a mild sweet taste to the curry. If not, then add about ½ tsp of jaggery. (I got only very raw ones, so added a little jaggery)
2. You can grate the papayas for faster cooking.

Check out the Blogging Marathoners doing BM#5 along with me 

Curry in a hurry under 30 min: Aarthi, Divya, Jayashree, Kaveri, Pavani,
Seven Days of Indian Sweets:Gayathri, Priya Suresh,
Seven Days of Microwave Meals: Monika,
Seven Days of Regional Specials:Harini, Vaishali, Suma, PJ
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid's Special: Kalyani
Summer Coolers: Jayasree, Kamalika, Srivalli

12 comments:

Divya said...

lovely curry, colour is so cute. looks great

Aarthi said...

lovely colour..looks yummy

Rani acharyulu said...

Absolutely delicious curry looks wonderful!!

Jayashree said...

I love this thoran....and like you said it tastes best with papayas that are just beginning to ripen. You've made me crave it now.

jayasree said...

Its been a long time since I tasted this..

Harini said...

Love this preparation. I love raw papaya. As u mentioned, I grate the papayas and stir fry it with a different blend of spices!

Sunanda said...

This is my favorite too..Looks healthy and yummy..

Sunanda's Kitchen

Priya Suresh said...

Omg,wish i could finish that whole bowl,cant wait to make some soon...delicious thoran..

Vardhini said...

This is new to me .. looks so yummy.

Vardhini
VardhinisKitchen

anthony stemke said...

This looks wonderful,I want to try it for sure.

Sravs said...

New to me !! very healthy fry !!

Rinku Naveen said...

Raw pappaya one of my fav..yummyumm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...