Friday, October 14, 2011

Yard Long Beans Thoran | Payaru or Karamani Thoran



Yard long beans or payaru was one vegetable which I liked very much during my childhood. I preferred this to the other varieties of beans. But after I finished college and came home, my taste had changed. The reason being hostel food. Though there were many things which were really good in the hostel menu, but certain things like this payaru thoran, cabbage thoran etc, were made in a slightly different way and not only that: - what happens when one is fed with a particular item on every other day. You start developing a kind of dislike towards it, right! I guess that’s what happened to me. I took an aversion to cabbage and yard long beans.
From then on, whenever these veggies were cooked at home, mom would make something else for me. Still every now and then I was forced to have it at some place or the other. But after coming to Hyderabad, these yard long beans have become a kind of rarity. In this 1 ½ years of stay here, payaru has been prepared only once, reason being lack of availability of good fresh ones. Now I have again started craving for these beans.
Yesterday, I found some really fresh payaru and immediately picked it up and prepared this thoran today. I relished it a lot as it has been quite some time since I ate it. How things change with time isn’t it!
This simple thoran goes very well with plain rice and Sambar or rasam.

What you’ll need

1.       Yard Long Beans/ Payaru/Karamani – ½ Kg
2.       Scraped Fresh Coconut – 2 tbsps
3.       Green Chillies – 1 or 2
4.       Turmeric powder – a pinch
5.       Salt to taste

For Seasoning

1.       Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
2.       Urad Dal Split – ½ tsp
3.       Curry Leaves – a few
4.       Oil – 2 tsps

Method

Wash the beans. Trim the ends and chop it into small pieces.

Grind the coconut, chillies and curry leaves without  adding water.

Heat a Kadai with oil, add mustard seeds, once it splutters add the urad dal. Once the urad dal changes color, add the curry leaves. Next add the chopped beans, a pinch of turmeric and salt to taste. Also add about 1/3 cup of water. Cover and cook on medium flame. Keep checking once in a while, as the water will evaporate. Add more water if required. And cover and cook till the beans are done.
Now add the ground coconut and mix well.



Yummy thoran is ready to be served with rice and Sambar.

Linking this to Kerala Kitchen hosted by Khushi and to Healing Foods event hosted by Saffron Streaks started by Siri.

33 comments:

Padhu Sankar said...

Love simple stir fry like this .

MyKitchen Flavors-BonAppetit!. said...

Long beans r Kerala's specialVeg.Luv this yumm stir-fry.

Sravs said...

Yummy and delicious fry !!

Ongoing Event - CC-What's For Friday Dinner??

Santosh Bangar said...

simple easy ,tasty thoran

Tina said...

Easy nd delicious thoran...

Hari Chandana P said...

Simple and healthy recipe.. looks perfect !!
Indian Cuisine

Prathima Rao said...

A nice & simple & comforting thoran :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Vineetha Sush said...

I buy this every week .Love it.

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

simple and yummy curry. it has been ages since i made this

divya said...

Simple and healthy recipe.. looks perfect !!

Unknown said...

My husband loves this :)

R said...

yard long beans r my fav. this looks so healthy and flavorful.

Swathi said...

I make thorans with little bit cumin powder, this one looks delicious.

Sangeetha M said...

good one dear...love the addition of shredded coconut to the thoran...yummy!!!

Pushpa said...

I like this veggie too,thoran looks yummy.

Panchamrutham said...

One of my favorite among thoran

http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

Sobha Shyam said...

simple delicious and healthy thoran..

Suja Manoj said...

My favorite thoran..delicious

Unknown said...

Thoran is awesome kaveri. Even during my stay at hostel I almost got fed up with the repeated foods. But now, as I am the cook, enjoying with my fav food. :-)

Cheers,
Uma
My Kitchen Experiments

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Super delicious one Kaveri, looks very nice.

Anonymous said...

i really like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it's for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

chef and her kitchen said...

lovely thoran....looks delicious

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi. First time here and following u now.
Love the long yard beans anytime and making thoran sounds good.

FOODELICIOUS

EVENT FOR OCTOBER & GIVEAWAY, ‘ONLY’- SWEETS & DESSERTS

Priya Suresh said...

Love this thoran simply with some rice and papads.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

looks perfect n yummm
Tasty Appetite

Rani said...

Hey, I have been looking for this recipe for a long time....glad to find it..Its so healthy and simple..want to add it to my list of healthy recipes...

Sushma said...

that looks simple yet yummy..

Anonymous said...

Thoran looks perfect, loved it but dread the cutting the beans into such small pieces

thanx for sharing it with healing foods

Gayathri NG said...

perfect fry well accompain with rasam rice...

Raks said...

I like to eat this payaru as such raw if its tender. Tastes great,loved this recipe

Alpana said...

Thoran looks perfect........Thanks for sharing.

myscrawls said...

Easy and healthy recipe! Very nice.

Shylaja said...

Simple and healthy dish

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...