A couple of month’s back I had won a giveaway for the event Healing Foods – Coconut, sponsored by Siri. She sent me this wonderful book, Cooking At Home with Pedatha. Thanks a lot Siri. The book is a collection of simple, traditional and authentic Andhra Recipes. I was stunned by the way these simple recipes were photographed. Each one looks tempting and delicious. I tried out a few recipes from the book and today I am sharing one of them: The famous Mamidikaya Annam or Manga Saadam/Mango Rice.
Raw mango is widely used in most cuisines during the season, and so is the case in Andhra. Raw mango or mamidkaya is used in dals, gravies, chutneys etc. I got few fresh raw mangoes and some raw bananas, right from the backyard of my H’s Granny’s place. So armed with these fresh mangoes I set about to make this simple, tangy yet very delicious rice. I packed it for my lil ones lunch and we had the remaining. It was sure shot hit with my family, who are ardent mango lovers.
What you’ll need
- Raw Rice – 1 Cup
- Sour Raw Mango – 1 small
- Salt to taste
Grind to paste
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Scraped Fresh Coconut – ½ Cup
- Green Chilly - 1
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1 tbsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Dried Red Chillies – 1 or 2
- Asafoetida powder – ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Ground nuts – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash the rice and cook it until soft but not mushy. Spread on a big plate to cool.
- Wash peel and grate the mango.
- Grind together, the mustard seeds, coconut and coriander leaves to a smooth paste adding very little water.
- Heat a Kadai with oil, add the mustard seeds, once they start crackling add the channa dal, urad dal, groundnuts and fry until the dals turn golden.
- Next add in the Dry red chilli, and finally add the hing and curry leaves.
- Add the grated mango and a pinch of turmeric powder. Saute for about 2 to 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Next add the ground paste and fry for a minute.
- Finally add the cooked rice and salt. Mix well and remove from heat.
That’s it tangy and flavorful Mamidikaya Annam is ready. Serve with papads.
Linking this to Let’s Cook – Rice.