Yesterday, I had some guests and after hosting the dinner, I had lots of leftovers, especially rice. After the night’s tedious work I woke up quite late today morning and was wondering what to prepare for my daughter’s lunch box. While rummaging through the fridge, I saw some ripe tomatoes, begging for attention. So I decided to prepare this quick fix tomato rice, perfect for a lunch box and also a perfect way to use up my leftover rice.
I think each household has a different way of preparing this dish, with variations in the blend of spices. I have tasted lots of versions and I love each and every one of them. I myself prepare 2 to 3 versions. The one I am sharing today is by far the simplest one.
What you’ll need
- Cooked Rice – 2 ½ cups
- Onion – 2 medium
- Tomatoes – 4 Medium
- Fresh/Frozen Green Peas - 2 handfuls (optional)
- Green Chillies – 1
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Fennel Seeds – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – a big pinch
- Chilly Powder – ½ to 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – a few
- Coriander Leaves – few
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 to 3 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Finely chop onions and tomatoes. Slit the green chilly.
- Cook the green peas in water, drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a Kadai, once the oil is heated, add the mustard seeds, cumin and fennel seeds. Also add in the curry leaves.
- Next add the chopped onions and slit green chilly, sauté.
- Once the onions start browning, add the turmeric powder, and fry for a minute.
- Next add in the chopped tomatoes and salt. Fry till the tomatoes turn mushy and the oil starts separating.
- Now add in the green peas, chilly powder, and garam masala powder. Mix well.
- Finally add the cooled and cooked rice and mix well. Adjust salt.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Tasty Tomato Rice is ready.