Cooking up something is not a very difficult task, but the answer to the question “What to cook, today?” definitely is. Don’t you think so? Every day, morning, afternoon and night I am plagued by this one question. And just cooking up something also won’t do, especially when it’s for your lil one’s lunch box. It needs to be wholesome, nutritious as well as something which they will like. Now that’s difficult isn’t it? Cos, children as such like very few things, like my lil one would love anything made out of Paneer, sweet corn, next comes cheese, noodles, nutella, peanut butter.etc. See the list of “healthy” favorites!
I literally have to struggle to make my elder one have some veggies. She doesn’t mind it as Pulao but if it’s a stir fry, or some sabzi for rotis, I always face rejection. Anyways, I am also not the one to give up, so I keep coming up with something different every now and then, and she is just too curious to not have it.
Here is a great way of sneaking in some greens into your kid’s meal. I myself am a great fan of these sandwiches. I had these for the first time at Café Coffee Day. I guess, many would’ve tasted these awesome sandwiches there. Also, had them a couple of times in Spice Jet flights. That’s when I realized that my daughter likes these sandwiches and made a special request to prepare these for her at home. These sandwiches have always been in my mind, but I somehow never got around making them, the reason being, that, Spinach was there, corn wasn’t or if corn was available, spinach wasn’t fresh enough and if both were available, then bread was not there. So finally, determined to make these sandwiches, went out to the market and got the ingredients especially for this. So here is my way of making these yummy sandwiches.
Makes 6 sandwiches
What you’ll need
- Bread – 12 Slices (I used Whole wheat)
- Spinach – finely chopped – 2 Cups
- Sweet Corn Niblets – 1 cup
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cheese – 1 cube (I used Amul) entirely optional
- Butter or Ghee – 1 tsp + more for toasting
- Microwave the corn for about 4 mins else boil it. Drain the water completely and set aside.
- Heat a non stick pan with a tsp of butter/ghee.
- Add finely chopped garlic and sauté.
- Next add the finely chopped spinach and sauté till it has wilted completely.
- Now add the cooked corn, salt and pepper and give it a good stir.
- If adding cheese, grate it and add now. Mix well. Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Cut the edges of the bread.
- On one slice place the required amount of filling and close with another slice.
- Toast in a Sandwich maker or grill or on a tawa, using a little butter or ghee.
Healthy and delicious sandwiches are ready to serve with some ketchup.