Monday, March 26, 2012

Chakkai Adai/Jackfruit Pancake




There are so many traditional recipes which get lost. I started this blog with an attempt to preserve some of the age old recipes which have been handed down through generations.

After a very long time, I spent a few days with my grandmother. I was awed at the way she kept herself active and busy all day through, even at the age of 81. She loves to cook for her children and grandchildren. I admire the way she takes care of each and every member in the house, with utmost love and affection. During my stay with her, I asked her to prepare a few dishes, which she lovingly did. What is special about her cooking is the consistency, with which she dishes out. Anytime and every time, the taste would be the same: Delicious. In my opinion, that is one of the most important qualities of a good cook, isn’t it?

Jackfruit is a seasonal fruit, available during the summer months, from March to May. Jackfruit when unripe is used to prepare curries, gravies, chips and numerous other savoury items and when ripe, many desserts, like Chakka Varatti (Jam), Payasam (pudding), Elai Adai etc are prepared.
Today I am sharing the recipe of this delicious pancake prepared out of ripe jackfruit – I should say, an old and dying recipe, which I learnt from my grandmother. The pancake/dosai, were very soft and delicious with the aroma of jackfruit.

What you’ll need

  1. Ripe Jackfruit Pieces – 2 Cups
  2. Powdered Jaggery – 2 Cups
  3. Par Boiled Rice/ Idly Rice – 3 Cups
  4. Oil/Ghee – As required for preparing the adai

Method

  1. Wash and rinse the rice well in 2 or 3 exchanges of water and soak it for 4 to 5 hours.
  2. Wash and deseed the jackfruit pieces. Roughly chop them.
  3. Grind the chopped jackfruit and set aside.
  4. Grind the soaked rice. When the rice is coarsely ground, add the Jaggery and grind.
  5. Now add the ground jackfruit and grind everything into a smooth paste, without adding too much water. The batter should be of dropping consistency.
  6. Heat a tava, Pour a ladle full of batter and spread it lightly.
  7. Drizzle oil/ghee, around pancake, and let it cook on low flame.
  8. Carefully flip over, and cook the other side too, on low flame. Drizzle a tsp of oil or ghee.

That’s it, delicious chakkai adai is ready.


Note:
Flip over the pancakes very carefully, since they are very soft and break easily.
Also cook on very low flame.

Linking this to Just 4 Fun, Fruit Fiesta, Cook Eat Delicious Desserts, Kerala Kitchen hosted by Prathibha


22 comments:

Unknown said...

I tasted jackfruit last week. As I tasted it after a long time, I never thought of making some recipe. Bookmarking this kaveri. :-) looks very tempting.

Radhika said...

Bookmarked Kaveri. I had tasted it long time ago and almost forgot it. I wanted to know the recipe and so thanks for sharing.

Rasi said...

Grandma's always rock.. that kai mannam irruke.. super.. & they make any dish so tasty..i wonder how do they remember & who do they whip ups everything so we'll.. This is great traditional recipe.. looks superb :)

Ongoing Event : I'm The Star

Mélange said...

SO yummy and tempting.so,you got chakkai now ? I am drooling here..

Faseela said...

thanks kaveri for sharing such an authentic recipe.........missing jack fruit here a lot...yummy pan cake...

Vimitha Durai said...

Nice flavorful dosai. Authentic are always the best

Hema said...

Heard about it but never actually tasted it, shud have been delicious..

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Thats a great, yummy dosa Kaveri. Grandma's recipes r the best, I wish I could get some jackfruit here. :-)

Vardhini said...

Missing jackfruit here .. dosai looks yummy.


Vardhini
Event: Legumes
Event: Fenugreek/Kasuri Methi

Rani acharyulu said...

Wow ethnic and traditional dosa looks delicious.....once i tasted this dosa one of my friend's house,she is also from Palakad......you remind me those days!

Kanan said...

I am always happy when I am with grandmom. I never had jackfruit pancakes. looks interesting to me

Suja Manoj said...

Can imagine the flavor,tempting pancake

Sobha Shyam said...

yummy dosa Kaveri..kothiyavunu...miss jackfruit and other naadan stuff here :(..so true that our grandmas are so active though they are old..Thanx a lot for sending it to my event dear :)

Julie said...

Very interesting n yummy yum dosa,never tried with jackfruits,delicious n healthy one..
Cook in any recipe with Cilantro/Cumin as one of the main ingredients & rush it in my EP Series-Herbs n Spices
Erivum Puliyum

Hari Chandana P said...

Wow.. nice and unique dosa.. looks inviting :)
Thanks for the lovely recipe :)
Indian Cuisine

Unknown said...

Very authentic and yummy pancake...


Cuisine Delights
My Monthly Event - Spotlight : "Lunchbox Ideas".

Rathai's recipe said...

The jackfruit pancakes are beautiful! I've only had jackfruit in curries/gravies and that was back home and I loved it and I love pancakes too, as a matter of fact, I had them today. :) I would love to try this, if I get my hands on jackgruit.

Vidhya said...

Bookmarking this yummy pancake recipe,you're making me miss my Grandmom and Mom so much with your posts.

Sensible Vegetarian said...

These look absolutely divine, thanks Kaveri for linking it to the

Cook Eat Delicious Desserts Event- Wholesome Desserts with no refined sugar or flours-Event Ending on 31st March

Unknown said...

Wow.. Pancakes with jackfruit.. Very delicious..

Ramya said...

im waiting to go to kerala next month and enjoy jackfruits...these pancakes have a lovely flavour..thanks for linking

Archana said...

Ho Kaveri. Glad you stayed with your granny. It is the time I treasure. Lovely pancakes. Her in goa they are made in some kind of idli. Never tried it for I will get chased out but have eaten it many time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...