Monday, April 23, 2012

Nendram Pazham Nurukku




Thinking of some of the Kerala specialities like Nendram pazham, Chakka (Jackfruit), Koorka etc brings back memories of my grandfather. My grandfather was a typical Palakkad Iyer who loved naadan food. My father was in a transferable job, and so we have had to live in different parts of the country. Where ever we lived, every year, my grandfather would visit Puthucode (our native place), during the Navarathri festival. He would stay there enjoy the sadhyas, panchavadyams and be absorbed in the festivities.

On his return journey, he would purchase all the Kerala special goodies, which in those days were difficult to find in other parts of the country. I and my brother would eagerly await his arrival. He would go with one bag and come back with a minimum of 3 to 4 bags. The famous Kaya Chips, Koorka, Nendram Pazham, Nendram Kaya would be there for sure. He would even get the Kaya tholi (Nendram Banana peels) to make thoran.  He didn’t stop at that. Once home, he would carefully hang the bananas on a hook and allow them to ripen, and would decide the menu for the coming few days.

Ok, now coming back to the present, today’s post, Pazha Nurukku is an essential part of the onam sadhya in the central parts of Kerala. It is also served as part of breakfast in most Kerala homes.



What you’ll need
  1. Nendram Pazham (Kerala Bananas) – 2
  2. Powdered Jaggery – 1 tbsp
  3. Salt – a pinch

Method
  1. Cut the bananas into finger length pieces. Do not remove the skin.
  2. In wide mouthed vessel, add some water add the banana pieces, salt and jaggery.
  3. Cover and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
  4. Remove lid and stir carefully without breaking the pieces.  Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or till the bananas are done.

These are generally served with popaddams.



Note:
Use only Nendram pazhams for this recipe.

Linking Bon Viviant - Breakfast Ideas, CC - Spring Seasonal Food, Kerala Kitchen hosted by Ramya, Kid's Delight - Fruits hosted by Nupur, Spotlight - Healthy Breakfast Ideas, Healthy Food for Kids - Toddler Breakfast/Dinner hosted by Roshni

31 comments:

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Life was so simple na when we were in school...I too used to wait for my Dad after his trips...Nice and simple dish...

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

This sounds new to me and must taste yum

Rani acharyulu said...

I used to make Pazam appam....this is new one looks simple and delicious.....

Roshni said...

We make something which looks similar. pazham puzhungiyathu... steamed etha pazham. please do link to my event this month

Ongoing Event : Toddler Breakfast/Dinner

Indian Khana said...

Yum ...looks so tempting ....just fab

cookbookjaleela said...

wow simple and super..

we prepare with banana. side dish of chappathi..

Kalyani said...

interesting recipe !!!!

Priya Suresh said...

Guilt free dish,simply delicious..

Aruna Manikandan said...

sounds new to me...
looks delicious :)

Kanan said...

this is something new and interesting. lovely

Sona said...

My favorite breakfast, tastes heavenly with pappadam.. wish I could have some now..

hotpotcooking said...

Yum looks tempting.

khushi said...

interesting recipe!! looks so simple

Julie said...

Delicious breakfast recipe in Kerala,love it always!

Join me in the ONGOING EVENT- "Mint & Coriander seeds" (EP Series-Apr)
ERIVUM PULIYUM

Sravs said...

Quiet new to me unique and interesting one !!

Ongoing event CC:Spring Seasonal Food

Rasi said...

This is so new to me... It must be so nice to go visit your hometown during the festivals & i can imagine how excited you kids must be :).. My thatha stayed in blore too but enevrtheless would get bakery goodies coz my wouldn't buy them often & he knew that :D

Ongoing Event : WTML

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious to snack looks wonderful

Sangeetha M said...

very new n interesting recipe...sounds so simple n yummy...nice to see all your creations after very long time :)

PrathibhaSreejith said...

yummy yumm, love them :-)

Unknown said...

I can imagine the taste,by looking at the pic.lovely.

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Looks so yummy, one of my close friend back home is from Kerala and used to have it at their house. But never gave a try, next time when I come across nendram pazham got to try it out.

Unknown said...

Never heard of this dish, but looks healthy and yummY!

Swathi said...

Delicious, I love anything with Plantain.

Sobha Shyam said...

we just steam the plantains..this is new to me Kaveri...kids will surely love this :)

Sunita Sriram said...

here is. another variant - probably you know it and have posted.
cut the nenthran pazhams into half an inch rounds without the skin
take a tawa, add some ghee and fry the pazham pieces on low flame, when they are slightly roasted, add sugar ( approx 6 table spoons for 2 big bananas )
keep frying on low flame till they turn crisp but not overdone.
please see that the bananas are not too ripe.
iam sure the kids would love it as it tastes like chocolate!

Raks said...

Wow, looks so so tempting, looks like you have done it so perfect, love the colour!

Ramya said...

this is my kids fave...i too loved this in my childhood.thanks for sharing in kerala kitchen

Faseela said...

My sons fav........yummy

Hema said...

Looks yumm, have to try this out..

Unknown said...

New recipe for me. But this is very healthy and yummy dish.

Cuisine Delights
My Monthly Event - Spotlight : "Healthy Breakfast Ideas".

Roshni said...

thanks for linking to my event :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...