Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Idiyappam / String Hoppers





Idiyappam was one of my favorite breakfast items in the hostel. But I never liked the combo they served it with i.e. the Peas curry. The peas would be all mushy and the whole curry would be thick and pasty. So I always used to opt for sugar.

Once I started making it at home, just like Roshan,  from whose blog I chose to make this recipe, I found that there are different ways and different ratios  of water for each kind of flour. Until today, I had followed the practice of boiling water with salt and oil and adding it little by little to the idiyappam flour, mixing it simultaneously to form a pliable dough and prepared idiyappams out of it. I always use only the store bought rice flour. But this time when I brought home the idiyappam flour packet, I was in for a surprise. The directions for preparing the dough had changed. Following the directions also led to the same soft idiyappams.

I can have it with just fresh scraped coconut and sugar but H requires some side dish so I usually prepare, Vegetable Kurma or Kadala Curry. But today, since I was pressed for time, I simply served it with some coconut coriander chutney and this tasted good too.



Serves 3 to 4

What you’ll need
  1. Idiyappam Flour – 3 cups*
  2. Water – 4 cups
  3. Salt to taste
  4. Oil – 2 tbsp + a little for greasing
  5. Freshly Scraped Coconut – as required (Optional)

Method
  1. Heat a non stick kadai with 4 cups of water.
  2. Once water starts boiling add oil and salt to taste. Mix well.
  3. Now add the idiyappam flour and mix thoroughly with the help of a wooden spatula.
  4. All the flour will come together and form a ball. Remove from flame at this stage.
  5. Let it cool for 5 minutes or till you are able to handle the dough with your hands. But do not let it become cold. Knead well with your hands to form smooth dough. Keep covered.
  6. Divide the dough into equal portions, fill it in the idiyappam press, and squeeze out the dough on to a greased idiyappam plate or idly stand.
  7. Sprinkle freshly scraped coconut. This is optional.
  8. Steam in the pressure cooker for 5 to 7 minutes. Do not place the whistle. Cook as you would for idly.



Note:
* I used the store bought idiyappam flour, Nirapara Brand. I followed the instructions given at the back of the pack for making the dough.

Linking this to Blog Hop Wednesday.
Also linking to Swathi's Event Favorite Recipes - Vegetarian Recipes

33 comments:

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Adipoli idiyappam...Love this with ishtu...Yum..

Nandinis food said...

Healthy idiyappam! Makes me hungry:)

Sanoli Ghosh said...

Wonderfully made idiyappam. Garnishing with coconut gives an authentic look.

today's recipe: http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.com/2012/10/roasted-chicken-drumsticks-tandoori.html

Santosh Bangar said...

looking tempting

Prema said...

wow my fav,u have made it perfectly...

Nandita Pai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nandita Pai said...

My fav and you have got them perfectly!! :) I love it with Kurma... try that sometime....

Vimitha Durai said...

Love it with thebga paal.. perfect combo

GM said...

hi kaveri, at my place, we used to eat with molagai podi, ennai, chutney, sambar, rasam etc. after my marriage, i found that my inlaws everyone like to eat it with milk, sugar or moru kootan. the sevai made (mavu arachu athile) in sevai nazhi, my children comes to press the same as they go round and round to make the sevai. the sevai made today is put in the moru kootan and had it in the next morning along with appalam. what to say? lovely it is. after tasting the same, i forgot to have the same with molagai podi etc. etc. try once you will love it.

Lifewithspices said...

wonderfully made..

Prathima Rao said...

One of my absolute fav..Looks perfect & inviting...
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Anonymous said...

I need to get the press now. They are a stunner

Unknown said...

love it with coconut milk..

Unknown said...

I love this with stew...

Priya Suresh said...

Love this string hoppers simply with sugar and grated coconut, you have made them prefectly kaveri.

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

I love this idiyappam very much. Sugar and coconut makes me drool

Anonymous said...

Oh Kaveri..It been sometime since I have had idiyappam and your pictures just made me crave some badly....I just feel like having them with fresh thick coconut milk and sugar...wow!!!

Suja Manoj said...

My favorite,looks absolutely yum

divya said...

looks absolutely inviting and tempting.. very delicious recipe dear..

Unknown said...

My fav breakfast. I love to eat it with tamarind chutney most of the time. Perfect pictures Kaveri.

Julie said...

Perfect inviting breakfast,delicious & soft dear:)
Join my ongoing EP events-Rosemary OR Sesame @ Now Serving

Swathi said...

Delicious and healthy breakfast, love it. Thanks for linking to Favorite recipes event: Vegetarian recipes

Unknown said...

I can have this any time, they look moist, thin and just perfect!

Saraswathi Ganeshan said...

Comforting recipes..My favorite too

Unknown said...

they look cute. never tried making this. looks delicious.

divyagcp said...

Simple and delicious breakfast. Love to have it anytime.

Divya's Culinary Journey

Vidhya said...

I love Idiyappam anytime with potato stew.Yours look so inviting.Do you have that special thin idiyappam press that is only found in Palakad.

Anonymous said...

I had Idiyappam for the first time on my recent visit to Kerala. These with a warm vegetable stew is the best breakfast ever! :)

Treat and Trick said...

That's my favorite too. It came out perfect!

Hema said...

Love this with vegetable stew..

Binys Recipes said...

wow dear i love it...yum

Prathima Rao said...

looks so perfect!!!! Really tempting..
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Roshni said...

Perfect Kaveri.. well made...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...