Sunday, April 3, 2016

Vellarikka Kichadi/Thayir Pachadi - Easy Vishu Sadya Recipes


We are into April already. The weather in Pune is very hot. It is our first summer here. I had heard so much about the pleasant weather of Pune that this heat took me by surprise. The temperatures have been around 37 to 39 degrees for the past 15 to 20 days.

Today’s recipe is a very easy one, perfect for a hot sunny day. Also, thayir pachadi or Kichadi is a important part of any sadhya, so if you are planning to cook a sadya this Vishu, then u should include this. The Vellarikka kichadi is one of my favorites. The Velarikka used is Malabar Vellarikai, also known as Kani Vellari.




What you’ll need
  1. Malabar Vellarikai – 1 cup, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
  2. Fresh Thick Curd/Yougurt – 1.5 cup
  3. Salt to taste

 To grind
  1. Fresh Scraped Coconut – 1/3 cup
  2. Green Chillies – 1 or 2
  3. Mustard Seeds – 1/8th tsp

 For tempering
  1. Oil – 1 tsp
  2. Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
  3. Curry Leaves – few

 Method
  1. In a vessel add the chopped Vellarika pieces with just enough water, (don’t add too much water), and salt and boil till the vellarika pieces are cooked. Takes about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
  2. Grind the coconut, green chillies and mustard seeds. You can add a little of the curds while grinding. Don’t add water.
  3. Beat the curds well add the ground mixture, and cooked vellarikai pieces and mix well. Check for salt and add accordingly.              
  4. Heat a small frying pan with oil, temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
  5. Pour over the pachadi.


7 comments:

Rafeeda AR said...

I totally love this, not along with rice but just like that! Thank you for sharing the recipe...

Tumas Tongue Treats said...

The look itself is so refreshing. Perfect for this summer

Anupa Joseph (Palaharam) said...

Oh yes, April itself is too hot in pune... Can't think of another 2 months to go by for rains to come....Pune used to be pleasant but now with too many flats and all ...it has changed a lot...
that is a perfect recipe for summer ...easy to prepare and perfect for this hot weather

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Wow, never knew malabar vellari can be made into thayir pachadi. Looks yumm

Ruwani said...

I can eat the whole thing just like that :) I love pachadi that my mum makes and this looks so yummy.

Riddhi Shah said...

Welcome to Pune.. despite the heat.. I assure you that you will fall in love with the city :) I am a gujju married to a Palakkad iyer... Your blog has taught me so much.. thanks a lot !

Riddhi Shah said...

Welcome to Pune.. despite the heat.. I assure you that you will fall in love with the city :) I am a gujju married to a Palakkad iyer... Your blog has taught me so much.. thanks a lot !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...