Thursday, February 3, 2011

Verum Arisi Adai


The name “verum arisi adai” literally means only rice adai.  This is the lesser known cousin of the Adai family.  It was my father’s favorite tiffin. Whenever my mother used to grind for idly/dosa, there would be surely some verum arisi maavu too. But many people really don’t know about this adai. Yet another palakkad speciality.

I remember eating this adai for breakfast for more than a month, everyday, post both my deliveries. After childbirth, I had to be on a strict diet better known as pathiyam. I thank my stars that Verum Arisi adai was on my pathiya menu!

Traditionally this dish is prepared by taking a big lemon sized ball of dough and patting it into a round on the tava with some water. Some holes are made on it and oil is poured in and around the adai. It is to be cooked on slow flame on both sides till the adai is nice golden and crisp. This is how my pati makes. My mother adapted it in her own style and here is her recipe:

Ingredients

1.       Par boiled rice – 2 cups
2.       Fenugreek /methi seeds – 2 tsps
3.       Salt to taste



Method

Soak the rice and methi seeds for 3 – 4 hours and grind into a thick paste. Add the required amount of salt and allow it ferment for about 8 – 12 hrs. When you want to make the adai, take the required amount of rice paste and dilute it with little water. The batter should not be very watery.  Heat a tava and pour a ladleful of batter on to it. Spread it into a thick dosa. You’ll find small holes forming on the adai by itself. Also make a small hole in the middle of the adai. Pour a teaspoon of oil around the adai and in the holes too. Cook on medium heat till both sides turn golden brown.
Serve immediately with gunpowder (molaga podi), or any pickle.

Note: You can add grated coconut or drumstick leaves for extra taste.

10 comments:

Sujaa Sriram said...

Nice recipe
Do visit and follow my blog and post your valuable comments...

Art Blog: http://yenkaivannam.blogspot.com
Food Blog: http://preethisculinary.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks...my all time favorite...and m dads too...

Anonymous said...

I love this adai. Was looking for a recipe and found this. Can i use sona masoori instead of boiled rice?

Preethi

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Hi Preethi,
Idly rice is best suited for this recipe...Raw rice will give a different texture..they won't be soft.

Unknown said...

I miss this adai made by my mother, she adds fresh grated coconut to this batter. That gives a wonderful taste.

Uma said...

Thank you Kaveri..brought back memories of my late mother's verumarisi adai with grated coconut

Anonymous said...

Can u make this with normal white rice?? Because I soaked white rice by mistake!!!!

Anonymous said...

Can you please tell me if I can use white rice instead of parboiled rice???

Unknown said...

If u add murungai elaii it gives immense taste !

vaidhehi said...

just had it yesterday! wirh fresh murungao elai that I got..my hubby's all time favourite..with vennai and pickle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...