Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Special Chole - No Onion No garlic





Chole is a predominantly Punjabi dish whose main ingredients are Chickpeas, onions, garlic, and tomatoes. It is usually served with a fried Indian Bread called Bhatura. Chole has become a common name even in South Indian households. I for one have been having chole since I don’t know when, though rarely with Bhaturae. They taste good with any Indian bread, like rotis or parathas. They can be served even with rice.

To me chole always meant onions and garlic. I never imagined preparing it without its two main ingredients. Now, while browsing through Deeksha’s space, who is my blog hop partner for this month, I saw the recipe for Special Chole. While going through the recipe, I realised that the ingredient list does not include onion or garlic. Since my Mil, does not take onions on most days, I thought this would be the perfect thing to try.

Believe me; I did not miss the taste of onions or garlic, the chole turned out to be as tasty as ever. We had it for dinner with some phulkas.




Serves – 4
What you’ll need
  1. Brown Chickpeas – 1 cup, soaked overnight
  2. Potato – 1 (optional)
  3. Tomato – 4 big, ripe
  4. Ginger – 1 inch piece
  5. Green Chilli – 1, slit
  6. Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
  7. Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp (adjust according to taste)
  8. Coriander Powder – 1 ½ tsp
  9. Garam Masala – ½ tsp
  10. Chana Masala – ½ tsp
  11. Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
  12. Cloves – 2
  13. Cardamom – 2
  14. Cinnamon – 1 small piece
  15. Bay Leaf - 1
  16. Ghee/Clarified Butter – 1 tbsp
  17. Fresh Coriander Leaves – few sprigs, for garnishing

Method                     
  1. Wash the soaked chickpeas in one or two exchanges of water.
  2. Pressure cook the soaked chickpeas and the potato for 3 to 4 whistles.
  3. Grind the tomatoes and ginger into a smooth paste.
  4. Heat a Kadai with Ghee, add cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf.
  5. Next add the tomato ginger paste, turmeric powder and sauté  for 6 to 8 minutes or till the ghee separates out.
  6. Now add the spice powders, chilly powder, coriander powder, garam masala and chana masalas.
  7. Fry for another minute or two.
  8. Now add the cooked chickpeas and boiled cubed potatoes. Add salt and mix well.
  9. Add about 1 ½ cups of water and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.



Delicious chole is ready. Serve hot with any Indian Bread.
Linking this to Blog Hop Wednesday

29 comments:

Sona said...

even i can't imagine chole without onions and garlic.. chole is one of my favorite.. this looks just lovely.. have been planning a long time to make chole, now u have tempted me to make this :)

anjana said...

delicious and spicy chole..loved the colour of the gravy!

Deeksha said...

Looks good. Hope you liked it :)

Akila said...

Omg, this looks awesome....

Sudha Sabarish said...

Always love to have chole.B/w what to add for the gravy to be thick.

Roshni said...

Love this gravy Kaveri. mouth watering.. It is hard to believe that you can make a gravy dish without onions and garlic. It is especially good for ppl who skip onions. My MIL and FIL also skip onions on some days. It will be nice to make for them..

Santosh Bangar said...

my all time fav. super recipe without garlic and onion

Radhika said...

You have done me a huge favor by hunting this out of Dee's space Kaveri. Wonderful snaps. Imagine chole without onion and garlic. :)

Spice up the Curry said...

gravy looks really spicy and tasty. My in-laws are jain. so they also don't eat onion and garlic. they made almost same way.

Alpana said...

This is my all time fav..........looks so delicious.

Anusha said...

i just found a bag of chickpeas in my pantry now i know what to do with it

Anisha said...

I must try this... I love chole and also I've been on the look out for No onion garlic recipes... :)

Swathi said...

Delicious chole Kaveri, Love that it doesn't have any garlic or onion.


Favorite recipes event: Cakes

kitchen queen said...

delicious and awesome chole to have with rotis.

Priya Sreeram said...

like u say chole has been a staple for me too as far as I can remember; loved this jain-y version of it; fine presentation :)

Priya Suresh said...

Chole without onions and garlic sounds seriously fantastic..

Faseela said...

Really great recipe Kaveri....

Julie said...

wow..none of my curries go without onion,this one is super delicious,Kaveri..absolutely yummy & thick:-)

Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

Jayanthi said...

Lovely recipe, definitely need this recipe when my inlaws are visiting. Looks so good and the pictures are very tempting too.

Mélange said...

A very interesting and innovative recipe Kaveri.Thanks for sharing.

Gayathri NG said...

Healthy n devious chole....

Suja Manoj said...

Yummy curry,great recipe Kaveri.

Nisha said...

No onion and garlic , perfect for summer

Shylaja said...

Nice recipe Kaveri especially with no onions and garlic

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Great recipe...delicious preparation without onion and garlic..

Archana said...

great recipe delicious prep.
I am hosting Kitchen Chronicles Theme Go Nuts...Do send me your entries

Vidhya said...

Luscious looking curry.

latha ram said...

The link of Chettinad Urulai roast takes me to the Special Chole - No Onion No garlic. Pls do the needful

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

@Latha Ram - Thanks for pointing out..Have made the changes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...