Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Nendram Pazham Payasam/ Nendram Pazham in Coconut Milk

Hello Friends!
I had a great vacation and am back in Hyderabad settling down slowly into my routine work. When I was in Bangalore, my mother had bought these delicious looking Nendram Pazhams, they are my favorite – and I don’t see them here in Hyderabad. So during my stay there I ate them to my heart’s content.

This fruit is so versatile, it can be used in a spicy gravy, as a snack as a dessert or just eat it as such. Today’s recipe is a very special one. I tasted this first time in my best friend’s house. From the first spoonful, I knew that I was going to make this very soon. And so I got the recipe from her and made it within 2 days. This happened about 8 years back and this dessert has become an integral part of our family. Actually, neither she nor her mom knew the name for this. So I just decided to give it my own name. So here is the recipe:


What you’ll need

1. Nendram Pazham – 3 (Medium Ripe)
2. Powdered Jaggery – 1 cup
3. Coconut Milk – 200 ml (I used store bought packet)
4. Cardamom – 3
5. Ghee – 1 tsp

Method

Remove skin and chop the bananas into quarters. Heat a Kadai, add the banana pieces. Add water, so that the banana pieces get just submerged in water. Also add about ½ the packet of coconut milk. Stir well cover and let it cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or till the banana pieces are done.
In the meanwhile, dissolve the jaggery in very little water strain for any impurities and keep it aside. Once the banana pieces are cooked add the dissolved jaggery syrup to it and let it boil for another 5 minutes. Turn off heat and add the remaining coconut milk. Sprinkle cardamom powder and drizzle 1 tsp of ghee for flavor. Nendram Pazham Payasam is ready. Tastes best when served warm.


Note:

Adjust amount of Jaggery according to your taste.

Linking this to Krithis Healing Foods Event - Banana originally started by Siri


Also linking it to Aipi's Bookmarked Recipes.

20 comments:

Prathima Rao said...

Extremely yumm!!!! Never knew we could make this from nendram too!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

aipi said...

Finger licking delicious n beautiful looking! Something I can eat on a regular basis :)
Thanks a lot for linking to bookmarked event :)
US Masala

Shylaja said...

Wonderful combination.Sound so delicious
South Indian Recipes

KrithisKitchen said...

Mmm... simply delectable... Thanks for sending to the event..

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Event: Healing Foods - Banana

Sravs said...

wonderful recipe !! looks so delicious !!

Suja Manoj said...

Delicious and tempting..lovely payasam

Padhu Sankar said...

Delicious and yummy payasam

Unknown said...

Hi Kaveri, first time here, you got a great blog. This dessert looks awesome. Thanks for linking it to Aipi and my bookmarked recipe event :)

Pushpa said...

Simply delicious payasam.

Sobha Shyam said...

Absolutely delcious payasam....bookmarked it :)

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Super yummy payasam...

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, seriously am drooling over that delectable and inviting payasam...lipsmacking here..

Swathi said...

Nendram pazham payasam adipoli. looks awesome perfect.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wat a wonderful selection of recipe..sounds delicious kaveri..:P

Tasty Appetite

Mélange said...

Wow.payasam look totally fabulous.I love it..And thanks for helping me to find out this awesome space of urs..see you often..(I love Palakkadan dishes so much you know)

chef and her kitchen said...

Nice payasam...looks yummy

Swanavalli Suresh said...

very delicious payasam

Vardhini said...

Never made payasam with nendhiram pazham. I like the fruit though. Looks yummy.

Vardhini
Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli

Sarah Naveen said...

ithu kollallo..sounds great ,looks so yumm!!

Emreen said...

Wow! Looks delicious... Sad part is we don't get Nendram Palam often here... ;-( ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...