I am at a loss of words while writing this post. The news of Jayashree’s passing away left me in shock for almost one full day. Though I knew her only through her blog, but still there was some unknown bonding, which I always felt towards her; the reason could be the fact that both of us belonged to Palakkad. I pray to God, to give her family, especially her kids, the strength to carry on. Jayashree will continue to live forever in our memories through her lovely blog.
Jayashree’s space Experiments in Kailas Kitchen, has such a wide variety of recipes. I spent quite some time browsing through her huge collection of recipes. Finally I tried out this simple yet very tasty side dish that can be had as an accompaniment with rotis.
What you’ll need
1. Capsicum - 2 nos, big
2. Onion – 1 big
3. Besan/Kadalamavu - 2 tbsp
4. Oil - 2 tblspn
5. Cumin - 1 tspn
6. Turmeric - 1/4 tspn
7. Red chilli powder - 1/4 tspn
8. Salt to taste
1. Wash deseed and dice capsicum.
2. Heat a pan, dry roast the besan till a nice aroma comes out.
3. Heat the same pan with oil, add cumin seeds and sauté. Next add the sliced onions and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
4. Next add the diced capsicum and sauté.
5. When the capsicum is almost done, add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Mix well and sauté for a minute.
6. Now add the besan little by little and keep stirring so that it does not form any lumps.
7. Sprinkle a just a handful of water and cook covered for about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir well.
That’s it yummy capsicum zunka is ready to be served with roti.