Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Arisi Upma / Rice Rava Upma


Upma is a popular breakfast item in South India. It is generally made of Rava or Sooji with a combination of vegetables and generous amounts of Ghee. Other variations prepared with Semiya/ Vermicilli, Cracked Wheat, Rice Rava, Rice Flakes/ Aval and now Oats are also very common. Even though it is very popular, and people would gladly have it in hotels, somehow, when made at home, it is not very well accepted.

When I decide to make upma mostly for dinner, (since we generally don’t have breakfast), my husband will invariably ask me “Oh! Upma va!!” Followed by statements like, “You keep watching so many cookery shows, and always keep noting down recipes. Is it only to make this Upma?” In return I would say something and it would go on. In the end, most of the times he will win the battle and I will end up making something else.

But, now with my older one also at home, there’s hardly any time to enter the kitchen. Most of my time goes by in sorting out sibling rivalries. And moreover hubby dear is not in town, so it is upma in all forms and shapes on most nights. It is really simple to make and gets ready in no time. A boon when you’re pressed for time and thankfully my elder one likes any kind of upma.

So while, going through Divya’s space, my partner for this week’s blog hop, I saw different kinds of upma recipes. I decided to make Arisi Upma. I have pretty much followed her recipe but for a few changes and also I used the pressure cooker to cook, as the upma gets ready real quick in the cooker.


Serves: 2

What you’ll need

1. Raw Rice – 1 cup
2. Toor Dal – A fistful
3. Grated Fresh Coconut – ¼ cup (optional)

For Tempering

1. Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
2. Split Urad Dal – 1 tsp
3. Channa Dal – 1 tsp
4. Hing/Asafetida – a pinch
5. Dried Red Chillies – 2 broken
6. Curry Leaves –few
7. Oil – 1 tbsp

Method

1. Wash the rice and dal well and spread it on a kitchen towel to dry in shade.
2. Once all the rice has become dry, grind the rice and dal into a coarse powder. (Rava/ Sooji consistency)
3. Heat a Pressure pan/cooker with oil, add mustard seeds, once they pop, add the urad dal, and channa dal, and dry red chillies, fry till they change color. Finally add the hing and curry leaves.
4. Now add about 2 or max 2 and ½ (depending on your rice type) cups of water, and let it boil.
5. Add the grated coconut and salt to taste.
6. Now add the rice and dal powder and stir well.
7. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook on high flame till the steam starts coming out through the vent.
8. Now place the whistle and cook on low flame for about 5 to 8 minutes. Turn off heat.
9. After the pressure is released, open the cooker and give the upma a good stir.

That’s it, healthy, tasty and easy upma is ready. Serve with a chutney or Sambar.


Linking this to Blog Hop Wednesdays.

37 comments:

Unknown said...

Yumm.. My mom uses moog dal instead of toor dal... The flavor of coconut makes this dish very comfy for me..

Suma Gandlur said...

Quick and comforting upma.

Padhu Sankar said...

I prepare this every week but somehow do not get time in the hectic morning hours to click pictures.Love this very much with gotsu

Only Fish Recipes said...

wonderful upma recipe dear...surely would love to try it out for my hubby :-)

Kavi said...

yum.. reminds me of the arisi upma the give as prasadam in temples! :)
-
Kavi
(Edible Entertainment)
Ongoing events:
Jingle All The Way &
Microwave Easy Cooking

Hari Chandana P said...

Simple and healthy upma.. looks perfect !!
Indian Cuisine

Nisha said...

Upma looks yummy

Unknown said...

Healthy yummy upma..

Priya Suresh said...

Its been a long i had this arisi upma,inviting and super filling breakfast..

hemalata said...

Yummy n healthy upma,looks so inviting.

Faseela said...

healthy upma....presented well

Radhika said...

I too use pressure cook to make it quicker but H is not the one for it. Lovely presentation.

Raji said...

The upma looks real tempting..I can have it anyday for breakfast.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Delicious and healthy upma,filling breakfast or dinner.

Santosh Bangar said...

delicious breakfast

Suja Manoj said...

Delicious breakfast..beautiful presentation

Vidhya said...

Upma looks so very tasty and easy.Unlike your husband my hubbies complaint is that I don't make this quite often.Bookmarking this to surprise him as I am not so good in making arisi upma.

Magia da Inês said...

Arroz com coco, nunca comi mas deve ser tudo de bom... já comi peixe com leite de coco.
Os temperos que vocês usam são maravilhosos.

▒♥▒♥▒♥▒♥▒♥▒♥▒♥▒♥▒♥
▒♥ Boas Festas!!!
▒♥ Feliz 2012!!!
▒♥

Sobha Shyam said...

healthy and tasty upma..

Julie said...

Healthy n flavorful one !!

Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
Erivum Puliyum

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Delicious and flavorful one, its been long since I had this and makes me feel nostalgic.

Sangeetha M said...

its been long time i had this upma, looks so inviting dear...nice presentation!!

Spicy Treats
Ongoing Event : Bake Fest # 2
Do participate in My 300th Post Giveaway-ends by 31st Dec

divya said...

Yum yum,mouthwatering here..

Shylaja said...

Delicious upma Kaveri. We used to make this often

Vineetha Sush said...

A different upmav..looks yumm and moist,love moist ones..

Roshni said...

yummy upma. check out my version in my blog if you get time. i made the upma kozhakkatai and then used vegetables etc... let me know what you think.

Unknown said...

My colleague used to bring this upma. I never tried this at home. Bookmarking this.

Priya Sreeram said...

oh upma va is a statement tht's so common in my home also though it is my hubby's fav ! looks yum and nice click

Ramya said...

long time since i visited your blog...rice upma is very new to me..will try. Wishing you and family a very HAPPY NEW YEAR

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

i know rice upma..bt never tried it.its looking yum.vl try soon

anthony stemke said...

These look like a conforting breakfast food.
We wish you and yours a Happy New Year.

cookingvarieties said...

hi kaveri, this flavored rice looks delicious.Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year..may all your good wishes come true..happy holidays

Roshni said...

Thanks for the wishes Kaveri. Wish you and your family a happy new year... Lets do more cooking together in 2012

Torviewtoronto said...

upma looks delicious happy new year

Unknown said...

this is so new to me sounds perfectly healthy! thanks for sharing such a lovely recipe.

Anonymous said...

is there no need to sieve the rice rawamafter grinding??? Meera

Anonymous said...

As a husband who loves cooking for my wife, I think your husband should give it a try and understand it's not that easy - even if it is upma..
Great blog and good collection of recipes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...