Friday, March 2, 2012

Avarakkai Thoran/ Broad Beans Thoran


Life feels so easy and carefree when mom is around. Her mere presence makes me feel at peace with myself. She has always been a source of strength and encouragement to me.

I have been married for 10 years now. Though she has come and stayed with me for long periods of time, but mostly it was when I was working and she used to take care of the entire household for me. I never realized how much she did for me until we moved to a different city far away from her, left alone to fend for myself. This is when I missed my mother a lot. During the initial months after our move, I used to call my mom atleast 10 times a day, for something or the other.

Then after a year or so, my mother came to Hyderabad to live with me for a few days. I wanted to make her happy in every possible way. I did not want her to sit in the kitchen and start doing all the chores for me again, though she can hardly keep away from it. But I did do my best. We went for morning walks, then for grocery and vegetable shopping. I prepared all her favorite dishes; she also prepared some of my favorite dishes, which I have not been able to master yet. In short we both had a fun time together.

My mother generally loves simple food, and here is one such recipe that both me and my mom love. 

Serves - 2

What you’ll need
  1. Broad Beans/Avarakkai – 250 gms
  2. Tuar Dal – 2 tbsp
  3. Scraped Coconut (Fresh or Frozen) – 2 tbsp
  4. Green Chilly - 1
  5. Turmeric – a pinch
  6. Salt to taste
  7. Oil – 2 tsp
  8. Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
  9. Black split gram – 1 tsp
  10. Curry Leaves – few
Method
  1. Wash, string the broad beans and chop them into small pieces.
  2. Wash the dal well and pressure cook it with just enough water for about 2 whistles. The dal should not get mushy.
  3. Grind together green chilly and coconut without adding any water.
  4. Heat a kadai with oil, once heated add mustard seeds.
  5. After the mustard crackles add the black gram, once it starts turning brown add the curry leaves.
  6. Now add the chopped beans, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix well.
  7. Sprinkle some water, cover and cook till the vegetable is done. Keep stirring once in a while.
  8. Now add the cooked dal and the coconut green chilly. Mix well.
  9. Remove from heat.


Serve as an accompaniment with plain rice and Sambar or Rasam.

Linking this to Kerala Kitchen hosted by Prathibha, to Nupur's For U Mom, to Rasi's I'm the star, to Only South Indian and to Srav's Vegan Diet.




29 comments:

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

cool green colour.tastes best rice n rotis..perfectly done......

Hema said...

Even my mom makes it the same way, adding a little tuvar dal, I miss my mom too..

chef and her kitchen said...

simple n yummy thoran..looks delicious

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Really mother-daughter bond is very strong. I try to spend as much time with her when she visits us. Healthy beans thoran...


Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Mélange said...

The one which I am nostalgic about..What a lovely flavor it generates.Thanks.

Amila said...

Looks so delicious.Next time I will try to cook in this way...And love this post,have to wait some time until I taste my mom's food...
Hot & Spicy Treats-Festive Food

Unknown said...

very nice recipe...

hotpotcooking said...

Yum recipe.

kitchen queen said...

simple healthy and nutritious curry.

Julie said...

Very delicious n yummy thoran,love this a lot!

Please link your entries to EP Series-Cilantro /Cumin Event
Inviting Hosts forEP Series-Herbs & Spices

Vimitha Durai said...

Simple and healthy thoran

Archana said...

Reminds me of my mum. Thanks.

Ramya said...

one of my fave thoran...but i've never tried adding toor dal..let me chk tht out

khushi said...

lovely thoran recipe..

Rasi said...

U reminded me of my days.. so true, how we miss them when we move out ..I didn't know abc of cooking..would call up to check , then call again to gossip and keep calling for every small thing, so that she just doesn't mean..I am missing my mom all the more now, after reading ur post :)..

I like this simple dish..have started having it only a year back,coz my MIL insists :D..Thanks for linking it to my event kaveri :)

Ongoing Event: I'm a STAR

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Delicious and healthy looking comfort food.
Inviting you to participate in Cook Eat Delicious Desserts Event- Wholesome Desserts with no refined sugar or flours

Sangeetha M said...

healthy n yummy stir fry...looks too good!!
Spicy Treats
OnGoing Event:kitchen Chronicles - Summer Splash

Teena said...

Looks very healthy & fresh!! Thanks for sharing :)

Faseela said...

wow........my fav. thoran....

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Thoran looks super yum..

Umm Mymoonah said...

Good to know that you had a good time with your mum, thoran looks super delicious.

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

Very nice and yummy thoran

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi. That's a quick curry. Thanks for sending it to my event.

FOODELICIOUS

MARCH EVENT, ‘ONLY’- SOUTH INDIAN & GIVEAWAYS

Roshni said...

moms are the best!

Sravs said...

Simply delicious and healthy too !! Thanks for linking to the event !!

Ongoing event CC:Vegan Diet - Plant Based Food

Kanan said...

yummy recipe

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely thoran

Unknown said...

Thoran looks yummy.

Cuisine Delights
My First Event - "COLOURFUL HOLI".

Sobha Shyam said...

simple and delicious thoran..no one can be like our mothers rt..they are great and we realize what they have done for us when we become a mother rt :)

Join the Just "4" Fun event :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...