Thursday, June 21, 2012

Kadachakka Thoran/ Breadfruit Thoran





My stay in Bangalore this vacation was really fruitful. Fruitful in terms of my blog, I tried out many different recipes and also asked my mother to prepare some of the traditional recipes which I had not tried or had for a long time.  One of my friends got this Kada Chakka, or breadfruit from Kerala. It was from the tree grown in their backyard.I was setting my eyes on this fruit for the first time. The name Kada Chakka made me picture it as a small jackfruit. It did look like a small jackfruit.  Still I had my doubts about its taste. But my friend persuaded me to take it home and asked me to just make a simple mezhukkuperatti or thoran with it. I hesitantly took it home. My mom also had never tasted it but had seen it and had heard about it.  

The next day, we prepared a thoran with it and it really tasted good. It tasted very much like potatoes. And all the flavours blended very well with it. My daughter liked it a lot. So the next time I sight it somewhere I am sure going to grab this fruit and try out different recipes. For those who would like to know more about breadfruit please visit this page.



What you’ll need
  1. Kada Chakka – 1, medium
  2. Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
  3. Green Chilly – 1 or 2
  4. Curry Leaves – few
  5. Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
  6. Salt to taste

For Tempering
  1. Oil – 2 tsp
  2. Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
  3. Urad Dal – 1 tsp

Method
  1. Peel the skin of the bread fruit and chop into medium sized cubes.
  2. Steam cook the bread fruit pieces in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles. Do not add any water to the pieces while cooking.
  3. Heat a kadai with oil, add mustard seeds and urad dal. Once the mustard splutters and urad dal turns light brown, add the steamed bread fruit pieces. Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix well. Fry on medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
  4. In the meanwhile, grind coconut, green chilly and curry leaves to a coarse paste, without adding water.
  5. Add this ground paste to the bread fruit pieces and mix well. 
  6. Remove from heat.

Serve as an accompaniment to rice and Sambar or Rasam.



Linking it to the Kerala Kitchen hosted by Julie.

29 comments:

Shobha said...

Nice thoran..

Akila said...

I too have never heard of this fruit... But dish looks awesome

Rani acharyulu said...

Here in Manipal I saw this fruit....but never tried to buy....after seeing your recipe love to buy this fruit...thanks for sharing this delicious thoran...

Roshni said...

Memories of Kerala. Kothiyavunnu... perfectly made

Hema said...

Now that I am in India, I am going to definitely try this..

Vimitha Durai said...

Never tried bread fruit.. Looks so yummy

Mélange said...

You know kaveri,I love love this kadachakka..I miss them..Mouthwatering thoran you made there...

Faseela said...

wow....superb n my fav thoran.....yum

hotpotcooking said...

looks yum, nice thoran. Inviting clicks....

anjana said...

delicious and flavourful thoran..

Priya Suresh said...

We dont get this breadfruit that much easily here, wish i get them here to make this irresistible thoran..yummy dish.

Julie said...

very delicious thoran,yummy ..love bread fruit in any form:-)

Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

Julie said...

Thanx for linking it to the event too:-)

Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

Sangeetha M said...

i don't find this breadfruit here :( thoran sounds so yummy...very nice side dish..looks inviting!!
Spicy Treats

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Looks so delicious and lovely.

Saraswathi Ganeshan said...

Delicious thoran..Love to have it with spicy rice...

Gayathri NG said...

Nice n yummy thoran...

Swathi said...

Kadachakka thoran looks delicious. I am using frozen ones as fresh cost a lot.

Nisha said...

Kadachakka thoran looks yum

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Thoran looks super...Its long that I had this..

Anisha said...

I love kadachakka thoran... the vegetable vendor was pushing me to buy it. But since I have never cooked with it I was hesitant. The thoran I have had looked more like shredded cabbage, which made me think it's too much work. But this recipe makes me feel like it's not that hard... I will buy kadachakka the next time and try this...

Torviewtoronto said...

wonderfully done looks fabulous

Vineetha Sush said...

I love kadachakka...during my hostel stay they used to make yummy masala curry with kadachakkaa and the taste is still in my tongue tip...here its so expensive :(

Vidhya said...

Love breadfruit in any form and this thoran looks so inviting.

vini said...

looks great.. kaveri coem and get your award here..

http://foodigest.blogspot.com/2012/06/versatile-blogger-award.html

Kavi said...

Looks awesome! Like the photos

Achu's Amma's Kitchen said...

delicious and yummy kada chakka thoran

Priya Sreeram said...

been a while I tasted this-looks yum !

Smitha Joseph said...

I miss being in Kerala so much. My favorite Thoran. My ammachi always made this for me. Thank you for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...