Here is a simple and really quick savoury snack. If you are pressed for time and still want to prepare something this Diwali, then this is definitely for you. This is something no one can go wrong with. Even beginners can prepare without any problem.
Be sure to ask for unroasted cornflakes. In India you may not find it in the supermarkets, but you will surely get in your regular grocery store. Ask for cornflakes for making mixture. I got it in one of the small grocery stores near my house.
By any chance if you are unable to find unroasted ones, use the regular unsweetened breakfast cereal and the fried nuts and season with the spice mix. You are ready with a much healthier version of the mixture. You can even try microwaving these unroasted cornflakes, which I plan to try very soon. Microwave version will surely be a healthy snack. A little indulgence during festivals is surely ok isn't it. So go ahead and try this simple and really quick recipe.
What you’ll need
- Cornflakes unroasted – 4 cups
- Groundnuts - ½ cup
- Cashew nuts – 15 to 20 broken into halves
- Raisins – 20 to 25 (optional)
- Curry Leaves – 3 to 4 sprigs
- Oil for deep frying
For the spice mix
- Salt – as required
- Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing – generous pinch
- Wash the curry leaves and spread on a newspaper for it to dry.
- Heat a pan with oil for deep frying.
- In a strainer, add the cornflakes in small batches, dip the strainer in oil and fry.
- Drain into absorbent tissue.
- Similarly fry the groundnuts, cashew nuts, raisins and curry leaves and add it to the fried cornflakes.
- Now add the spice mix to the above and toss well. Try not to mix with any spatula as it may cause the cornflakes to powder.
- Cool and store in airtight containers.