Monday, December 17, 2012

Mysore Rasam






The other day while updating the Recipe Index on my blog, I realized that I have posted only one rasam recipe so far. It is not that I don’t prepare rasam frequently; rather it is one of the items that is prepared very often in my house. As I have mentioned in my other rasam post, I just knew of a couple of rasams prior to marriage namely the tomato rasam and Jeera rasam. But after marriage, I have learnt quite a few types of rasams from my MIL, which I keep preparing very regularly.

Now, you must be wondering why then have I not posted any of these? Though I have always thought of posting the rasam varieties, but when it came to taking pictures of it, I was at a loss. The pictures were never satisfactory. At one point I just gave up the thought of clicking Rasam.

Couple of days back, I decided to give it a try again, and I kind of got a few decent clicks. So here I am with the post.



Serves – 3 to 4
What you’ll need
  1. Tomatoes – 2
  2. Thin Tamarind Extract – ¾ cup
  3. Asafoetida – a generous pinch
  4. Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
  5. Salt to taste
  6. Water – 2 cup
  7. Cooked and mashed Toor Dal – 1 tbsp
  8. Powdered Jaggery – 1 tsp
  9. Curry Leaves – few
  10. Coriander Leaves – chopped 1 tbsp

To Roast and Grind
  1. Toor Dal – 1 tbsp
  2. Coriander Seeds – 1 Tbsp
  3. Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
  4. Dried Red chilly – 1 or 2
  5. Black Peppercorns – 8 to 10
  6. Fenugreek Seeds – ¼ tsp
  7. Scraped Coconut – 1 tbsp

For tempering
  1. Ghee – ½ tsp
  2. Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
  3. Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp

Method
  1. Grind the tomatoes and pour it into the vessel in which you are going to boil the rasam.
  2. Add the tamarind extract to it.
  3. Add turmeric powder, asafetida and salt to taste. Mix well. Add about 1.5 cups of water and start heating on low to medium flame.
  4. In the meanwhile, roast all the items mentioned under “roast and grind” till a nice aroma arises and the toor dal and slightly changed color. Grind everything into a smooth paste using a little water.
  5. Add this ground paste also to the simmering rasam. Mix well. Also add a tsp of jaggery.
  6. Let everything simmer for about 15 minutes. Make sure you cook on low to medium flame if your keep it on high the rasam will boil very quickly and will boil over. You can add a ladle in the vessel while it is simmering to prevent the rasam from boiling over.
  7. Add the remaining half cup of water to the cooked and mashed dal mix well and add it to the simmering rasam. Add chopped coriander and curry leaves. Remove from heat when rasam starts frothing. Do not boil.
  8. Heat a small frying pan with ghee and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Pour this over the rasam close with lid and let it sit for about 5 minutes.



Serve hot with rice and some spicy potato curry.

32 comments:

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

super yumy rasam.....comforting fud 4 rice..
Maha

Unknown said...

Comfortable food on a cold rainy day...

Todays Recipe : Chicken 65

Divya A said...

Nice flavorful rasam a soothing one for this cool climate :)
Christmas Pops | Star Pops | Biscuit Pops | Christmas Recipes

Sangeetha Nambi said...

Real yummy tangy rasam...
http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

virunthu unna vaanga said...

very tempting and flavorful rasam akka...
Thinai/Foxtail Millet
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

Sanoli Ghosh said...

Too luscious rasam Kaveri. A must try recipe.

today's recipe:
http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2012/12/prawn-in-poppy-paste-chingri-posto.html

foodgalleri said...

Very flavorful n tangy rasam!!

Regards,
Bindu
http://indianrecipegalleri.blogspot.in/

Priya Suresh said...

Am yet to post this rasam in my space,eventhough i make them very often, comforting food.

Sangeetha Priya said...

Comfort food for this cool climate!!!

Julie said...

wow..perfect comfort rasam,nicely presented dear:)
Join EP event-Garlic OR Turmeric @ Spice n Flavors

Treat and Trick said...

Looks great and always my favorite!

Ganga Sreekanth said...

looks supertempting

Unknown said...

Simple and comfort rasam. I drink it most of the time!

Suja Manoj said...

Comfort dish,thanks for sharing dear.

Aruna Manikandan said...

flavorful and delicious rasam :)

divya said...

wow....delicious rasam dear :)beautiful clicks.

Anusha said...

personally even i dont enjoy clicking Liquids but you got a great shot out here Kaveri and i must say the rasam is a total hit with me

Mélange said...

Who can resist a yummy rasam..Nice presentation too Kaveri.

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Rasam adipoli Kaveri...Lovely click..:)

Hema said...

Love this rasam, even I have just one post on it, as you said, getting good clicks of rasam is difficult for me too..

Swathi said...

Mysore rasam looks delicious Kaveri. I too make rasam once in week.

Shabbu said...

Yummy and perfect rasam...

Unknown said...

Ultimate comfort food, love those tender curry leaves in your picture.

Nandinis food said...

Comforting rasam! Love the spices.

Vidhya said...

This is my type of comfort food.I am waiting for more rasam recipes.Love your presentation and clicks.

Amuthis Kitchen said...

Delicious Rasam kaveri.Mysore rasam has its own delicious flavors

Archana said...

Wow this is beautiful. Love the pics Kaveri.

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

hot n spciy rasam is always comfort vth rice......BTW if possible plz visit mine n plz chjeck out my new FB page dear.Hope u vl

Unknown said...

Easy and comfort food with good flavors!

Unknown said...

Nice recipe!

Anonymous said...

Hi

I am a fan of your blog and do follow it quite often, however this is my first ever comment.

Thanks for sharing the mysore rasam recipe.
I am looking for Kalyana rasam recipe, I have tried a few variations but not happy with them :-)
If you have the recipe, can you please post at your earliest convenience

Thanks
Pavi

Unknown said...

Great job. Thanks. Would like to try them all by n by. Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...