It has been my long time wish to bake savory tarts and I could finally bake them in my kitchen. Yes, this time the Baking Partners Challenge was to bake either tarts or scones. I chose to bake these tarts. I should say, though they are high on the butter and cheese, yet the tart was bursting with flavors. I and my husband enjoyed them very much. The recipes were suggested by Archana of The Mad Scientist's Kitchen. I skipped the Sage as I did not have them on hand. Please feel free to add it. Thanks Archana for these wonderful tarts. I would love to try the scones as well, maybe a little later.
Now off to the recipe:
What you’ll need
For the pastry crust
- All Purpose Flour – 3 cup
- Butter – 150 gm
- Gruyere Cheese – 75 gm
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – ½ tsp
- Cold Water – 10 tbsp
For the filling
- Cherry tomatoes – 450 gms
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Pepper – ½ tsp
- Gruyere Cheese – 100 gm
- Djon Mustard – 2 tsp
- Dried Thyme – 2 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Halve the tomatoes and place them on a baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In the meanwhile prepare the crust, In a wide bowl, take the all purpose flour, add the salt, pepper, chilli powder and mix well.
- Now add the cold cubed butter and rub with your fingers so the flour resembles bread crumbs.
- Mix in the cheese gently.
- Add the water and bring the flour together. Don’t knead.
- Wrap the dough in cling flim and place in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.
- No pre – heat the oven to 200 deg C.
- Line a rectangular tray with aluminium foil, in such a way that you have extra foil on all four side.
- Now roll out the dough and press it into the tray up until the sides as well.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork, so that it doesn’t puff up.
- Now place another foil on top of it and cover it all over with some dried beans like rajma or Karamani.
- Blind bake for 15 minutes.
- Now remove the beans and bake again for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Assembling the tart, Mix the cheese and djon mustard and spread it over the prepared crust.
- Place the tomatoes over it. Sprinkle the herbs and bake at 180 C for 40 minutes and then for another 15 minutes at 220 C.
- Carefully remove from oven allow to cool.
- To remove the tart just lift with the help of the foil and transfer to a plate.