Monday, April 13, 2015

Chakka Pradhaman - Vishu Sadya



I am really happy to be sharing my 400th post with you all. My  blogging journey so far has been a very memorable one. It has been almost 4 years now since I started blogging. It wouldn't have been possible without all you wonderful readers, friends and family. So a big Thank you to one and all. A special thanks to the readers who take the time to leave their valuble feedback here. But for the sweet and encouraging words from you readers, I couldn't have come this far.

Now to today's recipe, Chakka Pradhaman is a very delicious and easy payasam that is usually prepared for Vishu Sadhya as Chakka/Jackfruit are in season during this time. You can prepare the Pradhaman using fresh fruit or prepare it with Chakka Varatti or Jackfruit Preserve. Here, I am sharing the recipe of Chakka Pradhaman using Chakka Varatti.




What you'll need
Serves 3 - 4
  1. Chakka Varatti - 1 cup, tightly packed
  2. Jaggery - 1/4 cup, powdered
  3. Thin Coconut Milk - 1.5 cup* (See Notes)
  4. Thick Coconut Milk - 1/2 cup*
  5. Dry Ginger Powder - 1/2 tsp
  6. Coconut - 2 tbsp, cut into small pieces
  7. Ghee - 1 tbsp
Method
  1. Dissolve the jaggery in 1/2 cup of water and strain for impurities.
  2. Bring this jaggery syrup to a boil. Let it boil for 3 to 4 minutes on medium flame.
  3. Add the chakka varatti to this jaggery syrup and let mix it well, until the varatti dissolves and mixes well with the syrup. 
  4. Now add the thin coconut milk and let everything boil for 6 to 7 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and add the thick coconut milk. Mix well. 
  6. Add the dry ginger powder and mix.
  7. Heat a small frying pan with ghee and fry the coconut pieces till they turn brown.
  8. Add this to the pradhaman.
Delicious Chakka Pradhaman is ready.
Serve warm.




Note:
  1. I used readymade canned coconut milk. For the thin coconut milk, I took 1/2 cup of the readymade milk and added 1 cup of water to it, that made 1.5 cup of thin coconut milk.
  2. If you are using refrigerated chakka varatti, keep it outside for 2 to 3 hours before preparing the pradhaman. 
  3. Also, if using store bought varatti, check for fibres from the fruit in the varatti. If you feel that the varatti has fibres, you can add the varatti to the thin coconut milk and squeeze the varatti with your hands and remove the fibres. Then add this varatti and coconut milk mixture to the boiling jaggery syrup.
  4. Add and adjust the quantity of jaggery depending on the sweetness of the varatti.
  5. You can also fry cashewnuts and raisins along with coconut pieces if you like.
  6. Cardamom is usually not added to this Pradhaman as it will overpower the flavor of jackfruit.




12 comments:

Magees kitchenworld said...

Yummy Kheer!

great-secret-of-life said...

congrats on your milestone.. Lovely way to celebrate..

Vidhya said...

Congrats on your milestone . Pradhaman looks delicious. Happy Vishu to you and family.

Hema said...

Congrats Kaveri on your 400th post, delicious payasam, I have tasted with fresh jackfruit, have to try my hand in making chakka varatti this season..

Unknown said...

Hearty congratulations on your 400th post. Chakka pradhaman is looking very inviting!!! Happy Vishu

Rafeeda AR said...

congrats dear... I have always loved ur blog from the time I started blog hopping and any post, I make sure I peep in, mainly because I am intrigued at how vegeterian cooking can be so diversed... please continue, I will always be ur visitor... :) delicious payasam, drooling at the sight...

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

Yummy n tasty .

Vidya said...

I get only canned jackfruit here. Is it ok if I cook the jackfruit and grind it instead of using the chakkavarati

Jayashree said...

Congrats on the milestone!

Payasam looks perfect and yummy. Thank you for the recipe. Happy vishu to you!

Merry Tummy said...

this is so tempting and refreshing. Lovely recipe

Shabbu said...

Delicious chakka pradhaman...

Savitri said...

Hi, many thanks. Even though I'm a palghati and have made it in the past a couple of times, am still jittery when I get down to making it! So this recipe is like a refresher😀I'm planning to have a couple of non south Indian friends over for Vishu this year. The menu I have planned are typical Kerala specials like beetroot and cabbage thoran, mango pulisheri and of course Chakka Pradhaman. Bold right? I do hope I sail thru. On the other hand since they don't know what these are supposed to taste like, I'm safe 😜😜😜

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...